6th October 2019
What a huge response we’ve had since launching the website on 30th September! It has been beyond our wildest expectations and we’re so grateful for the overwhelming reaction from the Farnborough community and beyond. Thank you to everyone who has visited the site in its first week and thank you for everything you are doing to fight Esso’s plans.
There is still a huge amount of work to do but thanks to the superb response from the community we are off to a better start than we could ever have imagined. Please keep making your opinons known through any channels available to you.
Here’s a summary of the major achievements:
- A petition has been launched on change.org by Peta Howell and the response has been enormous. At the time of writing there are an incredible 1,263 signatures. Please add yours if you haven’t already done so.
- The MP for Aldershot and Farnborough, Leo Docherty has made a representation to the Planning Inspectorate in support of the numerous people who have contacted him since Monday. Thank you to everyone who wrote to him, and to Leo Docherty for his very prompt response.
- Surrey Live published an article, “Esso pipeline through Farnborough would cause ‘substantial tree loss’ at Queen Elizabeth Park”, describing the impact of the pipeline along with statements from Leo Docherty and Esso.
- Local councillor, Adrian Newell asked an emergency question at the council meeting on 3rd October to raise the issue with the rest of the council.
- Rushmoor council have issued a statement confirming that they have concerns about tree loss in Queen Elizabeth Park.
- 7,900 people visited this website in its first week. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read it and thank you to everyone who shared it on Facebook.
- Most importantly, Farnborough residents and visitors to Queen Elizabeth Park are now aware of Esso’s plans. They are talking about them and reacting to them. Please keep spreading the word because every voice strengthens our arguments against the plans.
Sadly Esso have not responded directly. They have merely provided comments to the media and officials—but only in response to questions. They have simply restated their position and have not given any signs that they intend to respond to our concerns.